Centrally located in northn Taiwan, Taoyuan is Taiwan's fifth largest city, and also has a highly developed industrial and commercial base, thriving cultural scene, friendly people, and beautiful scenery, all of which contribute to its status as an international-class city. In addition to historic attractions, Taoyuan also offers plenty to satisfy one's thirst for the wild, natural scenic, including the Shimen Reservoir, Xiaowulai Waterfall, and Xiaowulai Skywalk.
|Taiwan enjoys a subtropical climate with warm weather all year round. Taiwan is extremely suitable for traveling, as the annual average temperature is a comfortable 27 degrees Celsius with lowest temperatures ranging from 20 to 22 degrees Celsius. It will be around 28-32 degree Celsius in October in Taoyuan.|
|Taiwan is 8 hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).|
|The official currency in Taiwan is the New Taiwan Dollar (NT$). Foreign currencies can be exchanged at government-designated banks and hotels. Major credit cards such as American Express, Master Card, and Visa are accepted and traveler's checks.|
|Taiwan uses electric current of 110 volts at 60 cycles, appliances from Europe, Australia or South-East Asia will need an adaptor or transformer.|
|Banks are open from Monday to Friday from 9:00 to 15:30. You will find automated teller machines in convenience stores or by the bank.|
A diverse and distinctive food culture has developed from Taoyuan’s prosperous downtown scenes and simple settlements, with exquisite banquets, night market snacks, cafes with a cultural air, scenic restaurants, and much more. In Taoyuan, you will surely find a dish that will satisfy you and leave you with fond memories.
Most shops are open Monday to Friday from 11:00 to 21:30 and Saturday to Sunday from 11:00 to 22:00. Supermarkets are open from Monday to Sunday, from 9:00 to 22:00. Night markets usually start from 17:00 till midnight on selected days. You can find 24H convenience stores mostly everywhere.
Tipping is customary charge 10% in hotel or restaurant.
Requirements for VAT Refund
- Foreign travelers holding passports from countries other than the R.O.C., travel documents or R.O.C. passports without personal ID numbers attached.
- Foreign travelers who make purchases of at least NT$3,000 (USD100) on the same day from the same Tax Refund Shopping(TRS)-posted store, are eligible for a refund of the 5% VAT paid on those purchased goods. To claim the refund, they must apply at the port of their departure from the R.O.C. within 30 days following the date of purchase, and they must take the purchased goods out of the country with them.
Taoyuan has a huge fleet of taxis. Charges are NT$85 for the first 1.5km and NT$5 for each additional 250 meters. An additional NT$5 is charged for every three minutes of waiting. All fares appear on the meter, except for a NT$10 charge for cabs dispatched by phone and for each piece of luggage placed in taxi trunk. Tips are not required.
How to take a taxi?
- Flag down a taxi or call the taxi service hotline.
- Wait on the roadside/taxi stop or arrive at pick-up location to take a taxi.
- Confirm the taxi fare on the meter when reaching your destination and pay in cash.
|Emergencies/ Fire Department 119|
|Directory Assistance English Speaking 106|
|English Speaking Telephone Operator 24-Hour Toll-Free Travel Information Hotline 1999|
|International Operator Assistance 100|
|I24-Hour Toll-Free Travel Information Hotline 0800-011765|